One of my all time favorite blog posts I ever wrote was for my sugar free, dairy free, gluten free banana bread and the art of “ugly crying”. Not only did I love the recipe, but I loved my story behind it. Even though I wrote it years ago, I found myself needing to re-read my own words of wisdom recently. Life is a funny thing, it all can’t be perfect but SHIT sometimes those bad times really get you down.
Of course during tough times I find solace and joy in my kitchen. I started poking around my cupboards last night and started baking. I had some bananas that were about to go bad so I decided to make banana bread muffins. This is an adaption of my old recipe, mixed with a recipe I found on a great blog called “Cookie and Kate”
Last night I took these babies out of the oven, slathered them in salty irish butter and ugly cried until I felt better. I woke up today feeling like a new woman. These little rascals are super yummy, moist they are not too sweet, and hit the spot.
Let us move forward from all of this in love and light. This is a time to band together and fix the ugliness that has come from this election. If you see injustices in your daily life, stand up for it. Take care of each other. Love each other.
Gluten Free Healthy Banana Bread Muffins, NO REFINED SUGAR
(makes 12 muffins)
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3-4 bananas)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 cups AP gluten free flour blend (blend recipe below)
Rolled oats for topping the muffins
GLUTEN FREE AP BLEND (ADAPTED FROM AMERICA’S TEST KITCHEN): it’s important to get a food scale for best results. Store the rest of flour in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- 24 ounces white rice flour (4 1/2 cups plus 1/3)
- 7.5 ounces brown rice flour (1 2/3 cups)
- 7 ounces potato starch (1 1/3 cups)
- 3 ounces tapioca starch (3/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine mashed banana, maple syrup, coconut oil, almond milk, eggs, cinnamon, and salt and whisk throughly to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, xanthan gum, baking soda. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix to combine.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking oil, and scoop batter into each cup, filling it up only 3/4 of the way. To each muffin with a sprinkle of rolled oats.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and or until a toothpick is inserted into the center of one and it comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes before taking them out.