Summer is finally here and while some of the produce has been less than desirable this season…seriously WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?! The corn has been ON POINT. I love nothing more than a cold corn soup on a hot summer’s day. This recipe is packed with corn flavor due to a great corn stock that could not be easier to make. It’s my little secret and I am sharing it with y’all because I love you.
This recipe is great because not only is it delicious it is also dairy free, gluten free, vegan (sans shrimp) and made from angel’s wings, SOOOO you KNOW it’s good. It basically makes everyone happy…
Chilled Summer Corn Soup
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large ears of corn, shucked and cobs reserved
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes a side on high heat and set aside for service)
- 1 english cucumber, diced very small
- 1 avocado, diced small
- finishing salt
- cayenne pepper
- herbs and microgreens
- In a saucepan heat olive oil over medium high heat. Saute onion of salt with a pinch for 10 minutes, until it’s nice and gold and brown. Deglaze the pan with water and add corn cobs in. Simmer for 30 minutes. Discard the cobs and add in the kernels. Add salt.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes max.
- Blend in a high power blender for a minute or until the soup is silky and smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Chill for at least 2 hours. To garnish: line the outer rim of soup with diced cucumber, avocado, sea salt, a light dust of cayenne and herbs. Finish by carefully placing 3 seared shrimp on top of the soup.