I am sure you can tell already, this ain’t your grandma’s sweet potato pie. Nope, sorry Grandma Patty, you need to sit this one out because this is the BEYONCE of sweet potato pies.
This recipe is entirely gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free and vegan, but you would never know it. I have made this pie on several occasions and everyone goes crazy for it. Not only is it so beautiful to look at, the taste is something truly spectacular.
If you have never tried a purple sweet potato, they taste exactly like a regular sweet potato, although a bit more earthy, nutty and complex. Purple sweet potatoes are LOADED with antioxidants and one single sweet potato contains more than 200% of your daily serving of Vitamin A. They also contain iron, copper, Vitamin E and Vitamin C. You can find these little guys at your local health food store, or any Asian market should carry them.
Below is a paleo friendly, grain free crust option. You can also use a store bought crust or make a gluten free crust!
You can feel totally guilt free indulging in a slice of this amazing pie!
Sending you lots of love and light this next year.
I love you.
Vegan Paleo Gluten Free Purple Sweet Potato Pie
(makes 1 pie)
- For the pie filling:
- 2 lbs of purple yams (you can use orange sweet potatoes if you can’t find purple!), peeled and cut into 1 inch rounds
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (you can also use pumpkin pie spice if you’d like)
- 1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the grain free crust:
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup honey (or sub maple syrup)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 store bought crust (regular or gluten free!)
- FOR THE GRAIN FREE CRUST: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9″ pie pan with coconut oil.
- Mix all the crust ingredients in a large bowl then transfer them to the pie pan. Wet your hands and then press the crust into the pan, making sure it is even.
- Bake the crust in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil. Add the purple yams and boil for 10 minutes. Drain the yams and put them in a blender or food processor.
- Add the maple syrup, coconut milk, tapioca starch, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the pie crust and bake for 45 minutes. If the edges of pie start to brown to quickly, create a ring of aluminum foil and place on top of the edges to protect it.