Um are these Passionfruit Hamachi Appetizers not the cutest things you have ever seen?! I am always looking for new and fun appetizer to pass at my events. Passionfruits are coming to an end of their season right now, but the wonderful thing about them is that they will be back sooner than later. They pop up a few times a year, so keep your eye out for them!
If you can’t find passionfruit, don’t you worry. I have used the same hamachi mixture and placed them on top of a wonton strip, corn tortilla cup, or even made little cups out of cucumber. You also can use Ahi Tuna, or any kind of sashimi grade fish. You can even fill these little guys will your favorite ceviche.
I place ice cream salt on the plate to hold these little guys up so they aren’t wiggling around everywhere on the plate, plus it makes for a super pretty plate. DO NOT use the ice cream salt if you are planning on using the cucumber cups, tortillas, or wontons. Ice cream salt is not to be ingested, feel free to decorate the plate with fresh herbs or microgreens instead.
If you are looking for a fun, unique and show stopping appetizer to pass this is it! Whether it’s a dinner party, bridal shower, baby shower, or if you just want to show off and get down with yo bad self, do you boo boo.
Passionfruit Hamachi Appetizer
(makes 12 mini cups)
- 6 passion fruits, cut in half and the seeds and juice reserved. Set the rinds aside.
- 1 pound hamachi (yellowtail), cut into small cubes
- 1 lime, juiced and zested (about 2 tablespoons juice)
- 1/2 avocado, diced small
- 1 persian cucumber, diced
- 2 teaspoons finely diced shallot
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced, remove the seeds if you don’t like it too spicy
- good pinch of sea salt and cracked pepper
- Place everything in a bowl and mix to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- On a long plate scatter enough ice cream salt to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Take the filling and place enough to fill the cups. Garnish with fresh herbs or edible flowers