Simple dishes like this Grilled Shrimp with Kumquat and Avocado Salsa, is a refreshing, impressive, and delicious recipe and a perfect example of a dish that is naturally gluten free. My parents moved into a new home recently and I saw hidden in the back of the yard on top of a hill was a kumquat tree. I immediately ran up the hill with no shoes on, a basket in hand and began to forage for fruit. Honestly, this is one of my favorite things to do. It’s beautiful magic that food comes from the earth and it is something we have become totally desensitized to. The act of picking fruit and then eating it, humbles and excites me. Of course I made a kumquat cocktail first, but was puzzled as to what to make with the rest of the fruit. I had some shrimp in the fridge so I decided those tangy little gems would go perfectly with shrimp and avocado. The sweetness of the shrimp and creaminess of the avocado are perfectly balanced by the tart and bitter bite from the kumquat.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Grilled Shrimp and Kumquat Avocado Salsa
- 24 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- zest of one lime
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Kumquat Avocado Salsa
- 10 kumquats, washed and sliced thin
- 1 large avocado, diced small
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parsley or cilantro
- pinch of sea salt and lots of fresh cracked pepper.
- In a large bowl add shrimps, garlic, shallots, parsley, olive oil, lime zest, salt and pepper. Let them marinate for at least an hour.
- When ready to grill, preheat grill on high for 20 minutes.
- While grill is preheating make the salsa. Combine the kumquats, avocado, shallot, lime juice, olive oil. parsley, sea salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Fold to combine, taste and adjust seasonings accordingly. Set aside.
- Next grill the shrimps on a super hot grill for about 2-3 minutes per side, making sure they get nice and charred.
- Place grilled shrimp on a platter and spoon salsa over it. Serve along side a light salad or rice dish. ENJOY!