Once you hit a certain age time starts to fly by. Birthdays come faster and faster, days seem like minutes and there never seems like there is enough time EVER.
“Can you believe it’s Easter already?”
“Christmas is just around the corner!”
It seems like NOTHING slows time down!
Welp, I think I have figured out the key to making time stand still. Stop drinking….and/OR go on a diet. You see, I THINK I have been on this grain free/alcohol free diet for at least 3 months now, I was feeling healthy and accomplished. But when I looked at my calendar today I realized I had only been on it 2 weeks. 2 WEEKS. What is that?!?!?!?!?!
“Can you believe it’s almost Easter?!”
Yes I can Debbie. I can believe it’s almost Easter. In fact, Easter can’t get here fast enough. The days are going by like I am in prison-except now after watching Orange is the New Black, prison seems like a totally cool place to hang out.
I told y’all I would share my journey…and I didn’t say it was going to be pretty ….
In addition to my intense desire for a gorgeous glass of red wine, during my grain free adventure I have been maddddd jonesing for some cake. WHAT?! I hate cake! Alas, I suppose as time slowly passes and as I get older, sober day by day, sober hour by hour I am starting to entertain the idea of cake. Maybe this diet will make me want a baby or cat one day…just kidding babies…blech.
Before these adventures began I consumed a pistachio and almond cake at a friends house that was absolutely delicious. I wanted to recreate a version of it with out sugar and butter. I found this ADORABLE little lady online, her blog is mintyandgreen.com. Her recipe was simple and something that caught my eye. She says she was a private chalet chef in the French Alps which means she knows what’s up- I totally dig her style.
I made this cake and I have to admit it was definitely unique. It had a bitter intense orange flavor to it, but I liked it. One of the reasons I hate cake in general is because it’s too sweet. I always get a headache right after I take a bite but it wasn’t the case with this orange flavor bomb.
In fact I found myself eating 3 servings of it, because as we all know by now I am disgusting. The fig jam I diluted with water made a perfect glaze that contrasted really beautifully with the bold flavors of cake. This cake is PERFECT with a cup of tea. I actually ate a slice for breakfast this morning….so now that y’all know everything that goes on in my day, and in my head I am feeling vulnerable. Must eat more cake.
Grain Free Almond Pistachio Orange Cake
(makes 1 cake)
- 2 organic oranges
- 3 organic eggs
- 250 g runny honey
- 250 g almond flour
- 100 g pistachios, shelled and pulsed into a fine powder in food processor (NOTE: I used roasted and salted pistachios, you can use unsalted just make sure to add a pinch or two of salt to the batter when mixing)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- For Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite jam or preserves. I used fig preserves. To the preserves I added a bit of hot water to thin it out. When the cake was done I took a pastry brush and brushed the top with the glaze.
- Put unpeeled oranges into a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- While the oranges are simmering preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a loose bottomed round cake tin.
- Drain the oranges and put them into a food processor or blender and pulverize until smooth
- Place orange pulp, eggs, honey ground almonds, pistachios and baking powder in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 1 hour or until the skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, brush with glaze and let it cool in the pan on a rack for about an hour.